EMPLOYMENT AND LABOUR LAW
Howard Employment Law provides practical advice on employment and labour law and represents clients in employment-related litigation.
Geoffrey Howard and the Howard Employment Law team understands that our clients require timely, cost-effective, creative and practical approaches to resolve workplace issues and we work with them to find solutions to their business needs.
We believe in consistently high levels of responsiveness and open communications to ensure our clients are always aware of the status of their file.
Howard Employment Law (HEL) provides employment law services to employers covering the full life cycle of the employment relationship including agreements, compliance and performance management.READ MORE
Howard Employment Law (HEL) advises and represents employees on the full range of issues they face in the workplace including employment agreements, constructive dismissal, severance, and harassment claims.READ MORE
The Employment Relationship
Our lawyers have extensive experience representing and assisting both employers and employees in all phases of the employment relationship, including advising on:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating employment agreements, including executive employment agreements.
- Benefit plans, including retirement, disability, and group insurance coverage and liability issues.
- Stock options, restricted stock units (RSU), bonus and commission plans, and shareholders agreements.
- Employer policy development and implementation.
- Privacy policies and compliance.
- Bullying and harassment policies, compliances, and responses to complaints.
- Performance management and discipline.
- Compliance with employment standards, including vacation, overtime, leave, and termination standards.
- Compliance with human rights law, including discrimination and the duty to accommodate.
- Termination of employment, including structuring and negotiating severance packages and avoiding constructive dismissals.
- Employee shareholder disputes, including upon termination.
- Employment issues and agreements in private company mergers, acquisitions, and restructurings for purchasers, vendors, and affected employees.
We also represent clients in employment-related litigation including:
- Wrongful dismissal actions.
- Disputes over post-employment competition arising from non-competes and other restrictive covenants.
- Employment standards claims.
- Human rights claims.
- Grievances under collective agreements.