HEL is seeking a Partner/Counsel Lawyer
Howard Employment Law is looking for an experienced lawyer to join our team led by founder and senior employment counsel Geoffrey Howard. This is an opportunity to practise at the highest level working with the firm’s high quality clients while also developing and servicing your own client base. The successful candidate will transition rapidly to partner with the goal of taking over the firm’s lucrative client base.
HEL’s clients range from well-known multinationals through to national and regional employers. We pride ourselves on a strategic and cost effective approach to advising our clients, as well as our high contact service philosophy.
Why Join Us?
- Opportunity to take over a busy and profitable practice within 5 years.
- Earn compensation that is comparable to larger firms but with lower hourly targets
- Flexible benefits which guarantee you benefit from them
- A supportive and interactive team environment
- Receive mentoring from a senior lawyer and support from a junior lawyer
- Leverage strong strategic skills experience and excellent precedents
What will you do?
- Work as part of a team or on projects for the firm’
- Assume conduct of matters
- Service your own clients and develop client base
- Communicate directly with clients and problem solve their employment issues
- Draft employment agreements and policies
- Defend claims in the courts, Human Rights tribunals, WorkSafe and Employment Standards Branch
- Advise and represent employees in a wide range of claims
What do you need to succeed?
- 6 years minimum experience as an Employment and Labour Law Associate or equivalent
- Approximately 50% of your own practise (approx. 700 Billable hours) or willingness to build your own practise to that level
- Critical thinking and stellar customer service skills
- Excellent listening skills and capacity for empathy
- Outstanding communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to professionally manage stressful situations
- Ability to deliver difficult news in a tactful and sensitive manner
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to follow-up on several files at the same time
- Strong cross-functional team skills with the ability to work independently
If you have been thinking about a move to beautiful Vancouver, this is an opportunity to move while still practising with a top tier boutique in employment law. Like other top Vancouver firms, HEL offers superior work life balance with lower hourly rate targets but competitive pay based on results.
For a candidate relocating from another city, we are open to discussing the timing of your move to Vancouver and having you work remotely for an initial period during COVID. Our practise is national in scope and we want you to continue servicing your local client base even after relocating to Vancouver.
Send your application to Geoffrey Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org.